Brunswick in Glynn County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Jekyll Square East
— City of Brunswick —
Jekyll Square, originally called “Jekyll Place,” was named after Sir Joseph Jekyll (1663-1738), a member of British parliament. He was a friend of General Oglethorpe – founder of Georgia – and a financial supporter of the colony. It is a fitting tribute to Sir Joseph Jekyll that the square named in his honor has long been a center of law, commerce and finance in Brunswick. Portrait of Sir Joseph Jekyll courtesy of the Jekyll Island Museum.
Brotherhood and Service: The Masons of Brunswick
Ocean Lodge # 214 F & AM, chartered in 1857, found a new home on Jekyll Square (above Right) when it moved from Hanover Square in 1885. The ladies of the Eastern Star raised money for 14 years to help build the landmark structure, which still occupies the north side of this square. Retail establishments occupied the ground floor; the Masons used the top floor. The second-story windows were shortened to offer more privacy.
The Masons of Brunswick have always been dedicated to the service of its community, particularly during the city’s major yellow fever outbreaks in 1876 and
A Place to Gather
The arrival of a traveling circus was an exciting event in smaller cities like Brunswick at the turn of the 20th century. A well-developed rail system allowed America’s favorite form of mass entertainment to bring more elaborate acts, exotic animals and larger tents to towns all over the country. Crowds gathered in Jekyll Square to watch the circus opening parade of five elephants, gilded carriages and Native Americans in traditional attire, followed by numerous wagons full of other attractions. Parade photos courtesy of Coastal Georgia Historical Society
The Hurricane of 1898
On October 3, 1898, an Atlantic hurricane hit the Georgia coast at high tide, bringing 135 mph winds and a 16’ tidal surge. Much of Brunswick’s downtown area was under water. At least 179 people in Glynn County lost their lives, primarily from drowning. Most buildings along Newcastle Street sustained some damage, including those near Jekyll Square. Photos courtesy of Golden Isles Arts and Humanities Association.
In its early days , Jekyll Square was little more than an empty space between buildings along Newcastle Street. Retail shops on the north side of the square sold clothing, and later, fine jewelry and clocks at Ned Cash & Associates Jewelers.
The south side once had a hotel and private residence in the 1870s, then a grocery store followed by an auto service station, popular restaurants and O’Quinn’s Men’s Shop, the quintessential gentlemen’s clothier.
In 2008, Signature Squares of Brunswick landscaped both sides of Jekyll Square. Jekyll Square East takes full advantage of a beautiful century-old southern live oak tree as its centerpiece, with ample bench seating and lush plantings in a symmetrical design. Photos courtesy of Troup Nightingale.
In 1771, the city of Brunswick. Georgia was laid out according to "the Oglethorpe Plan," named after the colony's founder. General James Edward Oglethorpe. The design featured a grid of 14 large and small squares. The intention of the plan was to create permanent, park-like common areas throughout the city. The squares still bear their original names, which reveal Brunswick's strong historic ties to England.
Signature Squares of Brunswick, a non-profit organization founded to restore and preserve the parks and squares within the historic district of
Erected 2008 by Signature Squares of Brunswick.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Entertainment • Industry & Commerce • Parks & Recreational Areas • Railroads & Streetcars.
Location. 31° 8.903′ N, 81° 29.697′ W. Marker is in Brunswick, Georgia, in Glynn County. Marker is on Newcastle Street south of Gloucester Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Brunswick GA 31520, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Jekyll Square West (within shouting distance of this marker); Machen Square East (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bernice Echols Grant (about 500 feet away); a different marker also named Machen Square East (about 500 feet away); Machen Square West (about 600 feet away); James Edward Oglethorpe Liberty Tree (about 600 feet away); Queen Square (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brunswick.
Also see . . . Signature Squares of Brunswick. (Submitted on September 3, 2020, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 10, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 3, 2020, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. This page has been viewed 50 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on September 3, 2020, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. 7, 8, 9. submitted on September 4, 2020, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. 10, 11, 12. submitted on September 6, 2020, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. 13. submitted on September 9, 2020, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.