Morgan City began on the site of the Tiger Island Sugar Plantation owned by Dr. Walter Brashear, a prominent surgeon from Kentucky. It was incorporated in 1860 as Brashear City, then renamed Morgan City in February 1876, in honor of Charles Morgan, New York magnate who made Brashear City the center of many of his steamship and railroad activities.
During the Civil War, it became important as the western most supplyline of the Union Army since it was the terminal of the New Orleans, Opelousas and Great Western Railroad. It was from here that the Union Army made its Teche Campaign.
Since World War II, Morgan City has grown rapidly. The present day growth started with the beginning of the offshore oil exploration and drilling in 1947. Kerr McGee's Rig 16 became the first producer of oil in the open Gulf. In 1972, a historical maker was emplaced commemorating this event.
Brownell Carillon Tower - In a beautiful setting by Lake Palourde. The 9.5 acre park shows the many varied plants that grow wild along the ridges of these swamps - palmettos, elephant ears, ferns, etc... The 106 ft. tower contains 61 bronze bells cast
Erected by City of Morgan City.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil.
Location. 29° 44.209′ N, 91° 10.487′ W. Marker is in Morgan City, Louisiana, in St. Mary Parish. Marker can be reached from State Highway 70, 1½ miles north of Fig Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3559 LA-70, Morgan City LA 70380, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lake Palourde (approx. 1.4 miles away); Attakapa Militia (approx. 3 miles away); Dr. Walter Brashear (approx. 3 miles away); First Offshore Oil Well (approx. 3.1 miles away); Civil War Years (approx. 3.4 miles away); Fort Star (approx. 3.4 miles away); The Governor Jared Young Sanders Memorial Monument (approx. 3.4 miles away); Sacred Heart Of Jesus Church (approx. 3½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Morgan City.
More about this marker. Located within the Brownell Memorial Park & Carillon Tower.
Also see . . . Details of the 61-bell carillon, with additional links. (Submitted on September 5, 2020, by Carl Scott Zimmerman of Kirkwood, Missouri.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 5, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 25, 2017, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 161 times since then and 11 times this year. Last updated on September 5, 2020, by Carl Scott Zimmerman of Kirkwood, Missouri. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 25, 2017. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.