Near Goldthwaite in Mills County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Ratler, Texas and the Renfro Dam
Mary (Robins) and J. W. Jones built a dam of live oak logs and sandstone on the Colorado River about 8 miles south of this site between 1876 and 1879. The dam provided power to Jones' grist mill and cotton gin. The community became known as Jones Valley. The grist mill became a trade center, the dam a favorite recreation spot for area settlers. In 1883 the Jones' properties were sold to J. D. Willis. When Mills County was formed in 1885, the U. S. Postal Service set up a station in the Willis store, renaming the town Ratler. In 1933 Willis sold to B. F. Renfro, who rebuilt the dam of sandstone. The 1936 flood destroyed everything but the dam.
Erected 1998 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12159.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Man-Made Features.
Location. 31° 27.513′ N, 98° 43.766′ W. Marker is near Goldthwaite, Texas, in Mills County. Marker is on Farm to Market Road 574 10 miles west of U.S. 183. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Goldthwaite TX 76844, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mullin United Methodist Church (approx. 7.9 miles away); Site of the Settlement of Williams Ranch (approx. 7.9 miles away); Goldthwaite Memorial Cemetery (approx. 8.6 miles away); Mills County World War II and Korea-Vietnam Memorial (approx. 8.6 miles away); First Methodist Church of Goldthwaite (approx. 9.3 miles away); Mills County State Bank (approx. 9.4 miles away); Confederate Veterans Memorial of Mills County (approx. 9.4 miles away); The Old Town Well (approx. 9.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Goldthwaite.
Also see . . . Ratler, Texas. (Submitted on September 6, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 8, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 6, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 37 times since then. Photo 1. submitted on September 6, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view of the marker and the surrounding area together in context. • Can you help?