Shoreham in Addison County, Vermont — The American Northeast (New England)
John Larrabee established the first regular ferry here under a grant from the Vermont Legislature when the only business at the site was his tavern. In 1823, the year that the Champlain Canal opened, Larrabee and Samuel Holley built a store and a warehouse. A lively trade with the inland towns soon supported three stores, all supplied directly from Troy or Albany. Among the goods exported to the world from Larrabee’s Point, Merino sheep commanded the highest prices. Shoreham farmers bred some of the most famous ewes in the country, shipping them to western ranchers from this dock, a practice that helped to undermine the Vermont wool industry.
Travelers could catch a “line boat” down the Lake, or a packet heading through the canal. On his way to Fort Ticonderoga in 1835, Nathaniel Hawthorne observed “the continual succession of travelers who spent an idle quarter of an hour in waiting for the ferry boat; affording me just enough time to make their acquaintance, penetrate their mysteries, and be rid of them without the risk of tediousness on either side.”
The buildings clustered around this landing are
Erected by Lake Champlain Historic Landings Heritage Trail.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1823.
Location. 43° 51.351′ N, 73° 22.612′ W. Marker is in Shoreham, Vermont, in Addison County. Marker is on Vermont Route 74, on the right when traveling west. The marker is next to the current ferry landing. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Shoreham VT 05770, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hut Sites (approx. 0.9 miles away in New York); Near this spot stood Montcalm (approx. 0.9 miles away in New York); A Layered Legacy (approx. one mile away in New York); The French Lines (approx. one mile away in New York); The Carillon Battlefield (approx. one mile away in New York); “The Black Watch” (approx. one mile away in New York); The French Lines & Carillon Battlefield (approx. one mile away in New York); Garrison Garden (approx. one mile away in New York).
More about this marker. The left of the marker features a map of Lake Champlain, indicating the location of Larrabee’s Point. The bottom of the marker contains a picture of passengers, including a horse, in a ferry boat off Larrabee’s Point. Above this are two photographs. One is of "The United States Hotel, built by Samuel Holley and B.B. Brown in 1838. [It] burned some time after 1886." The other photo is of "The Stone House, the first at Larrabee’s Point, [which] was built out of stone taken from the ruins of Fort Ticonderoga."
Also see . . .
1. The Lake Champlain Basin Program website. The Lake (Submitted on January 24, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.)
2. Welcome to the Fort Ti Ferry. History and other information about the Ticonderoga Ferry. (Submitted on January 24, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 14, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 23, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 2,590 times since then and 148 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on January 23, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on January 24, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. 6. submitted on February 14, 2021, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.