Dover in Stewart County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Brandon-Sykes Showboat House
W. D. Sykes Memorial Museum
House built in 1888 by Nathan G. Brandon
W.D. Sykes became the 4th owner in 1919. He was a successful businessman during the Depression years, a staunch Democrat who entertained Governor Austin Peay, U.S. Secretary of State Cordell Hull and U.S. Representative Joseph Burns during the rebuilding of Fort Donelson National Park in the 1930s. He was a dedicated humanitarian who donated the lumber to build the first high school in Dover in 1919. The home was donated to the Stewart County Historical Society by W.D. Sykes' daughter, Rebecca Sykes Wilford in 1998.
The balconies represent the river showboats. The museum houses artifacts of Stewart County and the Sykes family. Historical events continue to be hosted here
Erected 2014 by Captain Charles Barham Chapter, National Society Colonial Dames XVII Century.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the The Colonial Dames XVII Century, National Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1888.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 174 Cedar St, Dover TN 37058, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Freedmen's Camp (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hallowed Ground (approx. 0.2 miles away); Cemetery Lodge (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Battle of Dover/Confederate Mass Grave (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Stewart County Iron Industry (approx. 0.4 miles away); Confederate Breakout (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named Confederate Breakout (approx. 0.4 miles away); History of the Stewart County Courthouse (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dover.
Also see . . . Colonial Dames place historical marker in Dover. Clarksville (Tenn.) Leaf Chronicle article with more information on the house's history. Posted Oct. 9, 2014. (Submitted on September 8, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 9, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 8, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 168 times since then and 61 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 8, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.