Punxsutawney in Jefferson County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Punxsutawney as a
public park by
The Rev. David Barclay
and Dr. John Jenks
September 25, 1822.
Ordained as “Barclay
Square” by Borough
Ordinance in 1928
Erected September 1979
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Parks & Recreational Areas • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical date for this entry is September 25, 1822.
Location. 40° 56.634′ N, 78° 58.151′ W. Marker is in Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania, in Jefferson County. Marker is on East Mahoning Street (Pennsylvania Route 36) just east of South Jefferson Street, on the right when traveling east. Marker is located near the sidewalk on the north side of Barclay Square. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 200 East Mahoning Street, Punxsutawney PA 15767, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Punxsutawney (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Groundhog Day (approx. 1.1 miles away); Charles J. Margiotti Great Shamokin Path (approx. 3.3 miles away); Rossiter Strike Injunction (approx. 3.7 miles away); First Pennsylvania Troopers Killed in the Line of Duty (approx. 4.4 miles away); Millstone (approx. 8.1 miles away); Fort Mahoning (approx. 10.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Punxsutawney.
Also see . . .
1. Barclay Square Memorial Park. In 1819, Rev. David Barclay purchased 327 acres of land, which was the original site of Punxsutawney. When the town site was recorded in 1821 in Indiana County, Rev. Barclay and his son-in-law, John W. Jenks, set aside "a parcel of land for public use". In 1902, Shelly M. Noyes supervised the project of turning the parcel of "wasteland" into an "oasis". Barclay Square is used today for many public functions. (Submitted on September 10, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Punxsutawney History. In September, 1818, Dr. Jenks built a log house on the corner of Penn Street and Farmers Alley, which was the first house built in Punxsutawney, and here, on September 2, 1819, a son was born to Dr. and Mrs. Jenks, who was christened (Submitted on September 10, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 10, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 9, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 224 times since then and 66 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 10, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.