Near Anchorville in St. Clair County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Sacred Heart Cemetery
Led by Bishop John Samuel Foley, the Diocese of Detroit purchased this land from Ephise Rosset in February 1914. The property became a new burial ground for Immaculate Conception of Blessed Virgin Mary after the church's first cemetery, St. Mary's, had nearly reached its capacity. The first burial in Sacred Heart Cemetery was recorded on June 25, 1914. Because many parish members owned family plots in St. Mary's, the new cemetery had a low number of internments during its first few years.
Several former pastors from the Immaculate Conception of Blessed Virgin Mary are buried in the priest mound of Sacred Heart Cemetery. Fred Rose, who served as sexton for the parish from 1959 until 1997, is also buried in the cemetery. He was the great-great-grandson of Etienne (Stephen) Rose, an early Anchorville settler who donated land for the parish's establishment in 1849. There are more than 150 veterans buried here, including soldiers who served in WWI, WWII, the Korean War and the Vietnam War.
Erected 2018 by Michigan Historical Commission — Michigan
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list.
Location. 42° 41.709′ N, 82° 41.378′ W. Marker is near Anchorville, Michigan, in St. Clair County. Marker is on Church Road 0.3 miles north of Dixie Highway (State Highway 29), on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6890 Church Road, Anchorville MI 48004, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Mary's Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); Immaculate Conception of Blessed Virgin Mary (approx. ¼ mile away); Paul Torney and Michigan Historical Markers (approx. ¼ mile away); Nicholas Koenig (approx. 2½ miles away); Grand Pacific House (approx. 2.6 miles away); New Baltimore / St. John's Lutheran Church (approx. 2.7 miles away); Colony Tower (approx. 5.8 miles away); Heritage Acres (approx. 7.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Anchorville.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 9, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 9, 2020, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 54 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 9, 2020, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.