Jersey City in Hudson County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Jersey City’s oldest building, the Newkirk House was erected circa 1690 a few blocks northeast of the nearby Dutch settlement of Bergen Square (1660).
Occupied for two centuries by the Newkirk family, the sandstone structure was sold by descendants in 1889 and moved and altered in 1928 for the widening of Summit Avenue.
The Newkirk House stands as a rare reminder of Jersey City’s primordial Dutch heritage.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. Marker has been reported permanently removed. It was located near 40° 43.877′ N, 74° 3.619′ W. Marker was in Jersey City, New Jersey, in Hudson County. Marker was on Summit Avenue (County Route 617) south of Magnolia Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: 510 Summit Avenue, Jersey City NJ 07306, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Jack Roosevelt Robinson (approx. 0.2 miles away); Peter Stuyvesant (approx. ¼ mile away); Tribute to the Soldiers of New Jersey (approx. 0.3 miles Old Bergen Church (approx. half a mile away); Jane Tuers (approx. half a mile away); U.S.S. Maine Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away); Rt. Rev. Msgr. Roger A. McGinley (approx. 0.6 miles away); Blakeslee Route (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jersey City.
Also see . . . History of the Summit House/Newkirk House. Jersey City, Past and Present website. (Submitted on March 3, 2013, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 3, 2013. This page has been viewed 547 times since then and 8 times this year. Last updated on September 12, 2020, by Brandon Gabriel of Jersey City, New Jersey. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 3, 2013, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.