Pittsburgh in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Henry Clay Frick
Frick was born in 1849 in West Overton, Westmoreland County, PA. He attended Otterbein University for one year, but did not graduate. In 1871, at 21 years old, Frick joined two cousins and a friend in a small partnership, using a beehive oven to turn coal into coke for use in steel manufacturing. The company was called Frick Coke Company.
Thanks to loans from the family of lifelong friend Andrew Mellon, Frick was able to buy out the partnership by 1880. The company, renamed H.C. Frick & Company, employed 1,000 workers and controlled 80% of the coal output in Pennsylvania.
Frick met Andrew Carnegie in New York City in 1881. This meeting resulted in a partnership between H.C. Frick & Company and Carnegie Steel Company, and was the predecessor to United States Steel. Henry Clay Frick died in 1919 and is buried in Homewood Cemetery.
John Russell Pope
Frick Park's distinctive stone gatehouses share something with the Jefferson Memorial: they were both designed by the famed architect John Russell Pope. Between 1931 and 1935, Pope was converting Henry Clay Frick's Fifth
Umberto Innocenti and Richard K. Webel
These renowned landscape architects of Long Island, New York, began as consultants for the park in 1937. They recommended several changes including planting of evergreen screens, additional trails, demolition of a clubhouse, addition of an archery range, conversion of Nine Mile Run swamps into a lake, and conversion of entry roads into pedestrian paths.
Many other improvements were made between 1937 and 1939 including the addition of paths, plantings, and the establishment of lawn areas. In 1940 a Nature Study Theater was construction and Innocenti and Webel began to plan the park as an arboretum with ecological groupings of plant communities. Between 1941 and 1948 several park improvement projects were developed for the former country club area, the Nine Mile Run area, and parking, along with a general plan for the entire path system of the park.
Erected by Pittsburgh Parks Conservancy, City of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Bridges & Viaducts • Industry & Commerce • Parks & Recreational Areas.
Location. 40° 26.236′ N, 79° 53.813′ W. Marker is in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, in Allegheny County. Marker is on South Braddock Avenue 0.1 miles north of Biddle Avenue, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 756 S Braddock Ave, Pittsburgh PA 15221, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Frick Woods Nature Preserve (here, next to this marker); Early Land Use (here, next to this marker); In Honor of Service (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Welcome to the Frick Woods / Pennsylvania - Forest Land (approx. half a mile away); Frick Park Today (approx. 0.6 miles away); Park Development (approx. 0.6 miles away); Frick Family (approx. 0.6 miles away); From Slavery to Freedom Garden (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pittsburgh.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 13, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 13, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 36 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 13, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.