Oviedo in Seminole County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
North of this marker on Lake Jessup are warm sulphur springs, near which John and William Bartram camped during their excursion up the Saint Johns River in 1765-1766.
In the late 1870’s, W.G. White built a store here, bringing goods by steamboat and trading with buyers who came by wagon and ox cart from all parts of Central Florida, as far south as Ft. Christmas.
In the 1800’s, after the coming of the railroads, White moved his business to Orlando. The site also became known as Clifton Springs, in honor of the hometown in New York of Dr. Henry Foster, a wealthy grower who spent winters at Lake Charm in Oviedo.
Erected by Seminole County.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Exploration • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the William Bartram Trails series list.
Location. 28° 42.015′ N, 81° 14.284′ W. Marker is in Oviedo, Florida, in Seminole County. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1988 Spring Ave, Oviedo FL 32765, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lake Jesup (approx. 1.9 miles away); Wagner (approx. 2.2 miles away); Lawton House (approx. 2.6 miles away); Oviedo (approx. 2.7 miles away); Slavia (approx. 3.8 miles away); The North American RA-5C Vigilante (approx. 4½ miles away); Naval Air Station - Sanford (approx. 4½ miles away); RVAH 12 Speartips (approx. 4½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Oviedo.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 6, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 14, 2020, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. This page has been viewed 67 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 14, 2020, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.