Near Fairfax in Fairfax County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The Battle of Ox Hill
The Battle of Ox Hill, September 1, 1862
The Confederate victory at Second Manassas (August 28-30, 1862) forced Union General John Pope’s Army of Virginia to retreat to the heights of Centreville. To dislodge Pope from his strong Centreville positions, Confederate General Robert E. Lee, commanding the Army of Northern Virginia, ordered General Thomas J. “Stonewall” Jackson’s 17,000 troops on a flank march to cut off Pope’s army from Washington.
Heavy rains hindered Jackson’s march on August 31, but by the afternoon of September 1 his column was advancing toward Fairfax Court House on the Little River Turnpike. Alerted to this threat, Pope assembled a force at Jermantown to block Jackson’s path and directed the IX Corps, some 4,000 troops, toward Jackson’s right flank. Sharp fighting erupted as General Isaac Stevens’ division made contact with Jackson’s column at Ox Hill. Storm clouds darkened the sky as Stevens launched an attack on the Confederates in the woods. The general was killed while gallantly leading this assault. As Stevens fell, a violent thunderstorm
With rain falling in torrents, the lead brigade of General Philip Kearny’s division, III Corps, arrived with 2,000 more troops and resumed Stevens’ attack. Scouting the ground in his front amid the downpour, Kearny accidentally rode into Confederate lines and was killed while trying to escape.
Despite wet ammunition, the bloodshed continued until darkness brought an indecisive end to the struggle. There was no tactical resolution—only exhaustion, the wounded and the dead. During the night, Union forces withdrew and eventually reached the safety of Washington’s defenses. Lee’s Army of Northern Virginia marched toward Leesburg and, on September 4, began fording the Potomac River, initiating the Maryland Campaign.
(Kiosk Panel): Where the Battle was Fought
Deployment Areas, Troop Positions and Battle Lines
Union and Confederate Forces
Ox Hill, September 1, 1862
The Battle of Ox Hill (Chantilly) was fought across 500 acres of Fairfax County farm fields and woods. Today, the 4.9-acre Ox Hill Battlefield Park preserves the last remaining ground of the historic battlefield. Examine this photograph and see where the battle was fought. Compare the deployment areas, troop positions and battle lines with the highways and urban development on the site today.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil.
Location. 38° 51.863′ N, 77° 22.193′ W. Marker is near Fairfax, Virginia, in Fairfax County. Marker can be reached from West Ox Road (Virginia Route 608). These panels are in the middle of three interpretive kiosks at the Ox Hill Battlefield Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4134 West Ox Road, Fairfax VA 22033, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named The Battle of Ox Hill (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named The Battle of Ox Hill (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named The Battle of Ox Hill (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named The Battle of Ox Hill (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named The Battle of Ox Hill (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named The Battle of Ox Hill (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named The Battle of Ox Hill (about 300 feet away); a different marker also named The Battle of Ox Hill (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fairfax.
Also see . . .
1. The Battle of Ox Hill (Chantilly) (Submitted on January 25, 2009.)
2. The Battle of Chantilly. Civil War Preservation Trust (Submitted on January 25, 2009.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 25, 2009. This page has been viewed 1,206 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on January 25, 2009. 6. submitted on May 26, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.