Pittsburgh in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Playhouse was built in 1897. It was designed by the architectural firm Alden & Harlow, along with a new greenhouse next door. The Playhouse was a center of activity for the privileged Frick children. Daughter Helen played and entertained friends in the drawing room on the first floor, while another room was used by son Childs as a photographic darkroom. Family photographs show many children gathered here for parties and events. The Clayton Cadets, a drill team organized by Childs, sometimes practiced upstairs. The second floor was also used for dancing lessons and gym classes.
The Playhouse is currently closed to the public.
Helen and Childs Frick were able to use the children's playhouse to truly "play house," practicing many of the roles that would be expected of them as adults, through entertaining friends, organizing activities, and practicing other social skills like dancing.
The original furniture in the first floor drawing room was scaled down in size for the young hostess and her friends.
The long wing off the rear of the Playhouse
Childs Frick c. 1897, stands at center front of the Clayton Cadets, a drill team he organized with boys from the neighborhood.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Arts, Letters, Music • Parks & Recreational Areas • Sports. A significant historical year for this entry is 1897.
Location. 40° 26.863′ N, 79° 54.083′ W. Marker is in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, in Allegheny County. Marker can be reached from Reynolds Street, 0.1 miles west of South Lexington Avenue, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 7227 Reynolds St, Pittsburgh PA 15208, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Greenhouse (a few steps from this marker); Kitchen Garden (within shouting distance of this marker); Clayton (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Clayton (within shouting distance of this marker); The Frick Art Museum (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); A Gift from Henry Clay Frick (approx. 0.2 miles away); Westinghouse Gas Wells (approx. 0.4 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pittsburgh.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 14, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 14, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 38 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 14, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.