Port Isabel in Cameron County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Old Port Isabel Lighthouse
Erected by the United States Government in 1852
Extinguished during the Civil War
Discontinued, 1888 - 1895
Permanently discontinued, 1905
Erected by the State of Texas 1936
Erected 1936 by The State of Texas. (Marker Number 3780.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • War, US Civil • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments series list.
Location. 26° 4.672′ N, 97° 12.421′ W. Marker is in Port Isabel, Texas, in Cameron County. Marker is at the intersection of East Queen Isabella Blvd (State Highway 100) and North Garcia Street, on the left when traveling east on East Queen Isabella Blvd. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 421 E Queen Isabella Blvd, Port Isabel TX 78578, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Port Isabel Lighthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Port of MatamorosSite of Fort Polk (within shouting distance of this marker); Port Isabel, C.S.A. (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Charles Champion (about 600 feet away); Queen Isabel Inn (about 800 feet away); Port Isabel Cemetery (approx. ¼ mile away); Padre J. Nicolas Balli (approx. 2½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Port Isabel.
Also see . . . History of the Port Isabel Lighthouse. (Submitted on September 16, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 17, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 16, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 47 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 16, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.