Port Isabel in Cameron County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of Fort Polk
A Mexican village developed on this point, settled by Mexican ranchers in the 1700s. The village was abandoned prior to the U.S. declaration of war with Mexico in 1846. U.S. forces led by General Zachary Taylor occupied the point on March 24, 1846. Taylor erected a depot here to receive supplies from New Orleans. The six-sided fort, named for President Polk, consisted of 4 sides of earthen embankments and 2 sides open to the shoreline. The fort was abandoned in 1850 but the settlement it attracted eventually developed into Port Isabel. Remnants of the Fort were visible until the 1920s.
Erected 1995 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4796.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts or Castles • Settlements & Settlers • War, Mexican-American • Waterways & Vessels.
Location. 26° 4.653′ N, 97° 12.461′ W. Marker is in Port Isabel, Texas, in Cameron County. Marker is at the intersection of North Tarnava Street and East Queen Isabella Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Port Isabel TX 78578, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Port Isabel Lighthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Port Isabel Lighthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Port of Matamoros (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Padre J. Nicolas Balli (approx. 2.6 miles away); Site of Camp Belknap (approx. 8 miles away); Battle of Palmito Ranch (approx. 9.9 miles away); Last Battle of the Civil War (approx. 10.1 miles away).
Also see . . . Fort Polk History. TSHA Texas State Historical Association (Submitted on September 17, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 17, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 16, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 32 times since then. Photos: 1. submitted on September 16, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. 2. submitted on September 17, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.