Athens in Athens County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Bicentennial of the Northwest Ordinance
Northwest Ordinance of 1787
Ohio University, the first public university established in the Old Northwest Territory, was founded on the principles of the ordinance.
[Street side of the marker]
Erected by Class of 1986 and 1987.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Education • Landmarks • Notable Events. A significant historical year for this entry is 1787.
Location. 39° 19.642′ N, 82° 5.99′ W. Marker is in Athens, Ohio, in Athens County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Union Street and College Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Athens OH 45701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Elms (within shouting distance of this marker); Memorial Auditorium (within shouting distance of this marker); Athens County Civil War Soldiers and Sailors Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Ohio University's Distinguished Visitors (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Kissing Circle (about 300 feet away); Student Voices (about 300 feet away); Ohio University (about 300 feet away); Ohio University 1915 Alumni Gateway (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Athens.
More about this marker. The inscription on the street side of this marker is a quote from Article III of the Ordinance of 1787.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 17, 2022. It was originally submitted on January 22, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,643 times since then and 36 times this year. Last updated on January 26, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on January 22, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. 7. submitted on January 5, 2022, by TeamOHE of Napoleon, Ohio. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.