Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tesquisquiapan in Tequisquiapan, Querétaro, Mexico — The Central Highlands (North America)
 

Parish of Santa María de la Asunción

 
 
Parish of Santa María de la Asunción Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. Makali Bruton, September 13, 2020
1. Parish of Santa María de la Asunción Marker
Inscription.  

Parroquia de Santa María de la Asunción
La Villa de Tequisquiapan fue fundada en 1551, por cédulas Reales de Carlos V, que fueron firmadas por el Virrey de la Nueva España. Al fundarse esta Villa, se inició la construcción de la capilla de la Magdalena como el primer espacio religioso; sin embargo, debido a que se presentaron fallas estructurales, las autoridades tomaron la decisión de iniciar la edificación de la Parroquia de Santa María de la Asunción en 1744. En la erección del inmueble eclesiástico, es posible identificar tres períodos; durante la primera etapa se concluyeron las capillas de indios y del Carmen (actual bautisterio). En un segundo momento, se terminó la fachada estilo neoclásico y la bóveda principal de la parroquia. Por último, la cúpula y el crucero de las capillas del Sagrado Corazón y San Martin de Porres.

English translation:
Parish of Santa Maria de la Asunción
The Villa de Tequisquiapan was founded in 1551, by Royal Decree of Charles V, which was signed by the Viceroy of New Spain. When this Villa was founded, the construction of the Chapel
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
of the Magdalene was begun as the first religious space; however, due to structural defects, the authorities made the decision to begin the construction of the Parish of Santa Maria de la Asunción in 1744. In the erection of the ecclesiastical property, it is possible to identify three periods; during the first stage the chapels of Indians and of Carmen (the present-day baptistry) were concluded. In a second stage, the neoclassical facade and the main vault of the parish were finished. Finally, the dome and the body of the chapels of the Sacred Heart and St. Martin of Porres were constructed.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionColonial Era. A significant historical year for this entry is 1551.
 
Location. 20° 31.377′ N, 99° 53.484′ W. Marker is in Tesquisquiapan, Querétaro, in Tequisquiapan. Marker is on Independencia just north of Calle Niños Héroes, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tesquisquiapan QUE 76750, Mexico. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla (within shouting distance of this marker); Salvador Michaus Marroquín (within shouting distance of this marker); Plaza Reforma (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Municipal Auditorium
Parish of Santa María de la Asunción and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. Makali Bruton, September 13, 2020
2. Parish of Santa María de la Asunción and Marker
The marker is to the far right in this view of the church.
(about 120 meters away); First Public Education in Tequisquiapan (about 120 meters away); The Legend of the Baroness (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); The Geographical Center of Mexico (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); La Trinidad Natural Protected Area (approx. 7.6 kilometers away).
 
Parish of Santa María de la Asunción and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. Makali Bruton, September 13, 2020
3. Parish of Santa María de la Asunción and Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 18, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 18, 2020, by J. Makali Bruton of Accra, Ghana. This page has been viewed 81 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 18, 2020, by J. Makali Bruton of Accra, Ghana.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=156423

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 23, 2024