South Bound Brook in Somerset County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Delaware & Raritan Canal State Park
Dug by hand, mostly be Irish immigrants, the 66 mile D & R Canal was completed in 1834. 75 feet wide and 8 feet deep, the canal originally had 14 locks to raise and lower boat traffic.
The D & R Canal operated as an inland waterway between the Delaware and Raritan rivers, primarily transporting Pennsylvania coal to New York via mule drawn canalboats. The busiest years of the D & R Canal were in the decade following the Civil War, when it proved itself to be one of America’s most important canals.
By 1843 mules were supplemented by steam powered boats. The D & R Canal was used by a great variety of commercial, pleasure and naval vessels. Many locks, spillways, tender’s houses, and other nineteenth century structures remain intact and in use. The entire D & R Canal is on the National Register of Historic Places.
Corridor of Conservation and Recreation
Along its route of scenic beauty, the canal offers varied recreation and provides a natural habitat for plants and wildlife. Visitors can enjoy the sights and sounds of the natural world while canoeing, fishing, cycling, walking
After 1932 the D & R Canal no longer provided a through route for vessels. Instead, the water itself became a resource which is of increasing importance to much of central New Jersey.
Erected by NJ Dept. of Environmental Protection.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1834.
Location. 40° 33.517′ N, 74° 31.839′ W. Marker is in South Bound Brook, New Jersey, in Somerset County. Marker is on Canal Road, on the right when traveling west. Marker is in the parking lot of the D&R Canal State Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: South Bound Brook NJ 08880, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Locks on the D&R Canal (within shouting distance of this marker); Battle of Bound Brook (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Queen’s Bridge (about 800 feet away); Van Horn Plaza (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Frelinghuysen Tavern (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Stone Bridge (approx. ¼ mile away); a different marker also named Battle of Bound Brook (approx. ¼ mile away); Bound Brook Library World War I Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in South Bound Brook.
More about this marker. The bottom right of the marker contains a photograph of “The South Bound Brook lock and locktender’s house. At each lock and bridge the canal company built a modest house for the locktenders and bridgetenders.” The center of the marker contains a map of New Jersey, indicating the location of the remains of the D & R Canal.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Markers related
Also see . . . Delaware & Raritan Canal State Park. Park website homepage (Submitted on January 27, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 3, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 27, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,289 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 27, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. 5. submitted on January 28, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.