Columbus in Colorado County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Columbus Odd Fellows Rest Cemetery
John Toliver deeded a tract of land to Columbus Lodge No. 51 Independent Order of Odd Fellows. In July 1871 for use as a cemetery among the first to be interred here were victims of the 1873 yellow fever epidemic. Including George W. Smith District Judge and Texas Supreme Court Justice. Within a few years, a bluff on the south side began to erode, exposing some graves. In 1888 a committee was appointed to take preventative measures. The grave of Henry Middleton (d. 1888) was washed out before the efforts were successful.
The Odd Fellows sold the cemetery to the newly formed Columbus Cemetery Association in 1890. The Association added land in 1901. Many stones, such as those on the Dick family, were relocated from the Old City Cemetery to higher ground in the Odd Fellows Rest Cemetery after a devastating flood in 1913.
Among the many burials of note in the Odd Fellows Rest Cemetery was that of J.W.E. Wallace, a Columbus founder, whose grave was moved to the state cemetery in Austin. Robert and John Stafford, prominent Columbus businessmen, died as a result of a feud which also involved Deputy Sheriff Larkin S. Hope and
More land was added to the cemetery in 1977. It continues to serve the City of Columbus at the dawn of the 21st century. The Columbus Odd Fellows Rest Cemetery is a chronicle of the history and pride of Colorado County.
Researched by Mary Lynn Skinner
Given by Laura Ann Dick Rau and Raymond Frank Rau. In memory of Walter Gresham Dick , Hattie May Everett Dick, Raymond Rau and Hope Heller Rau
Erected 2000 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12318.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1871.
Location. 29° 41.961′ N, 96° 33.561′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Texas, in Colorado County. Marker is at the intersection of Montezuma Street and Cardinal Lane when traveling west on Montezuma Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1518 Montezuma Street, Columbus TX 78934, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hebrew Benevolence Society Cemetery (approx. ¼ mile away); The Rev. Jacob Scherer (approx. 0.4 miles away); Site of the Camp of Gen. Joaquín Ramírez y Sesma (approx. 0.4 miles away); American Legion Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away); Walk of Honor (approx. 0.6 miles away); Columbus' Old City Cemetery (approx. 0.6 miles away); Exum Philip Whitfield (approx. 0.6 miles away); Columbus Oak (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 24, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 24, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 84 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 24, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.