Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Rincon in Effingham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Village of Abercorn

 
 
The Village of Abercorn Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, July 27, 2020
1. The Village of Abercorn Marker
Inscription.  Near here the Village of Abercorn was laid out, in 1733, and ten families assigned to it. In 1734, when the Salzburgers arrived in Georgia, many of them were stationed in Abercorn to wait for their homes to be built in Ebenezer and a road cut through to that place. Their pastor, the Rev. John Martin Bolzius, remained with them during the months of waiting. The location of the Village proved unsuitable for permanent settlement, and in a few years Abercorn was abandoned, to take its place among the Dead Towns of Georgia – only the Creek that runs beside the site still bears the name.
 
Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Society. (Marker Number 015-5.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraSettlements & Settlers.
 
Location. 32° 14.295′ N, 81° 11.78′ W. Marker is in Rincon, Georgia, in Effingham County. Marker is on Augusta Road (Georgia Route 21) just south of Old Augusta Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Rincon GA 31326, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within
The Village of Abercorn Marker looking north image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, July 27, 2020
2. The Village of Abercorn Marker looking north
7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Houston Baptist Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Goshen Church (approx. 1.3 miles away); Historic Ship Anchor (approx. 2 miles away); Richmond Baptist Church (approx. 2.6 miles away); Mulberry Grove Plantation (approx. 4 miles away); Washington's Southern Tour (approx. 4 miles away); Atlantic Coastal Highway Through Georgia (approx. 5˝ miles away); Purrysburg Township (approx. 6˝ miles away in South Carolina).
 
More about this marker. This marker is a replacement by the Georgia Historical Society and erected in 2019. Originally it was erected by the Georgia Historical Commission in 1959.
 
Also see . . .  Georgia Ghost Towns. (Submitted on September 26, 2020, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida.)
 
Additional comments.
1. Marker Number:
The marker number (015-5) has the wrong county number of 015 for Bryant County. The county number for Effingham County is 051. Originally, this marker was located south of its current location at Rice Creek Road in Chatham County and numbered 051-5.
    — Submitted October 8, 2020, by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 15, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 26, 2020, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 42 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 26, 2020, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida.
Paid Advertisement
Oct. 30, 2020