Near Watrous in Mora County, New Mexico — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Fort Union Arsenal / Fort Union National Monument
(marker south side)
(marker north side)
Erected by New Mexico Historic Preservation Division.
Topics and series. This historical marker and monument is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Santa Fe Trail series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1851.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Watrous NM 87753, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ready to Repel the Confederates (approx. 0.8 miles away); The First Ten Years: 1851-1861 (approx. 0.8 miles away); The First Fort Union (approx. 0.9 miles away); Fort Union: 1866 (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Third Fort Union (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Six Mule Army Wagon (approx. 0.9 miles away); Rank Has its Privileges (approx. 0.9 miles away); Home for the Commandants (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Watrous.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Fort Union National Monument
Also see . . . Fort Union History. By 1851 nearly 1,300 soldiers served in the New Mexico Territory. Lt. Col. Edwin V. Sumner relocated the department headquarters and the main supply depot from Santa Fe to this site strategically situated near the junction of the Mountain and Cimarron Branches of the Santa Fe Trail. (Submitted on September 26, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 26, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 98 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 26, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 5. submitted on September 29, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.