Near Sandston in Henrico County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Henrico County / New Kent County
Henrico County. Area 280 Square Miles. An original shire formed in 1634. Named for Henrico Town, founded in 1611, which was named for Henry, Prince of Wales. The battles of Seven Pines, Savage's Station, Glendale, and Malvern Hill took place in this county in 1862.
New Kent County Area. 191 Square Miles. Formed in 1654 from York, and named for an English county. The White House, where Washington's wife lived, was in this county, and here he married her.
Erected 1929 by Conservation & Development Commission. (Marker Number Z-163.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Political Subdivisions • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Department of Historic Resources series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1634.
Location. 37° 30.865′ N, 77° 12.403′ W. Marker is near Sandston, Virginia, in Henrico County. Marker is on East Williamsburg Road (U.S. 60) 0.1 miles east of White Oak Road, on the Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5457 White Oak Rd, Sandston VA 23150, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Capt. John Smith Captured (here, next to this marker); New Kent County (a few steps from this marker); New Kent Road (a few steps from this marker); Bottom's Bridge (within shouting distance of this marker); Orapax (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Elko Community Center (approx. 1½ miles away); Antioch Baptist Church (approx. 2.2 miles away); Seven Days Battles (approx. 2½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sandston.
Also see . . .
1. The Official Site of Henrico County, Virginia. (Submitted on March 30, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.)
2. The Official Site of New Kent County, Virginia. (Submitted on March 30, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 8, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 27, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 902 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 27, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.