Humboldt in Gibson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Fighting For Humboldt
Raid on the Depot
— Forrest's First West Tennessee Raid —
Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest led his cavalry brigade on a raid through West Tennessee, Dec. 15, 1862—Jan 3, 1863, destroying railroads and severing Gen. Ulysses S. Grant’s supply line between Columbus, Kentucky, and Vicksburg, Mississippi. Forrest crossed the Tennessee River at Clifton, defeated Union Col. Robert G. Ingersoll’s cavalry at Lexington, captured Trenton and Union city, and ranged briefly into Kentucky. He raided back through Tennessee, evaded defeat at Parker’s Crossroads, and crossed the river again at Clifton. Forrest’s success forced Grant to switch his supply base to Memphis.
In July 1862, Union forces occupied Humboldt, the important junction of two railroads: the Memphis & Ohio and the Mobile & Ohio. The 12th Wisconsin Infantry's regimental newspaper, The Soldier's Budget, published an order from Union Gen. Grenville M. Dodge: "All persons within the limits of this command, holding any civil office, either State, County, City, Town or Township will file at these Headquarters, within twenty days, their Oath of Allegiance to the United States. Any one failing to do this, or evading
Near the end of the year, fighting reached Humboldt as Confederate Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest conducted a raid in West Tennessee to disrupt Union Gen. Ulysses S. Grant's supply line from Columbus, Kentucky, to Holly Springs, Mississippi. On December 20, 1862, a detachment of Forrest's command attacked Union Col. Jacob Fry's force here. The Confederates destroyed the Mobile & Ohio Railroad bridges and took 200 prisoners, 500 rifles, and 300,000 rounds of ammunition.
This Greek Revival-style house, known as Twin Oaks. was completed about 1860 for the Rev. Moses E. Senter, who supported the Confederacy. Senter's sons William T. and Moses G. Senter enlisted in Co. B. Tennessee Cavalry, in 1863 and served under Forrest until the end of the war. According to local tradition, Forrest's men briefly used the house as a hospital after the engagement here. In 1866, the Rev. Senter was elected Humboldt's first mayor. He later organized the First Baptist Church and served as its minister, 1868-1869 and 1871-1873.
Gen. Grenville M. Dodge
Gen. Nathan B. Forest
Moses E. Senter Humboldt Historical Society
Erected by Tennessee Civil War Trails.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Tennessee Civil War Trails series list. A significant historical date for this entry is December 20, 1862.
Location. 35° 49.242′ N, 88° 54.4′ W. Marker is in Humboldt, Tennessee, in Gibson County. Marker can be reached from Osborne Street east of East End Drive (U.S. 79), on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Humboldt TN 38343, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Humboldt Confederate Monument (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bonds House (approx. ¼ mile away); Dodson House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Samuel Cole Williams (approx. half a mile away); 1414 Main Street (approx. 0.6 miles away); 1408 Main Street (approx. 0.6 miles away); 1404-1406 Main Street (approx. 0.6 miles away); 1401 Main Street (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Humboldt.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 26, 2020, by David Austin of Scotts Hill, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 349 times since then and 72 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 26, 2020, by David Austin of Scotts Hill, Tennessee. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.