Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Odell in Livingston County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

1932 Standard Oil Gas Station, Odell, Illinois

Route 66 Roadside Attraction

 
 
1932 Standard Oil Gas Station, Odell, Illinois Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jason Voigt, September 29, 2020
1. 1932 Standard Oil Gas Station, Odell, Illinois Marker
Inscription.  This restoration is a project of the Route 66 Association of Illinois Preservation Committee. Identified November 9, 1997 on the National Register of Historic Places.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceRoads & Vehicles. In addition, it is included in the Route 66 Roadside Attractions, and the U.S. Route 66 series lists.
 
Location. 41° 0.106′ N, 88° 31.737′ W. Marker is in Odell, Illinois, in Livingston County. Marker is at the intersection of S West Street and West Deer Street on S West Street. Marker is next to the old gas station. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 400 S West Street, Odell IL 60460, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Odell Pedestrian Tunnel (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Meramec Caverns Barn (approx. 4.8 miles away); Shifting Roadways (approx. 7.1 miles away); Mom and Pop Motels (approx. 7.7 miles away); Welcome to Dwight (approx.
1932 Standard Oil Gas Station, Odell, Illinois Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jason Voigt, September 29, 2020
2. 1932 Standard Oil Gas Station, Odell, Illinois Marker
7.9 miles away); Dwight, Illinois (approx. 7.9 miles away); Full Service on Rte 66 (approx. 7.9 miles away); A Well Connected Village (approx. 8.2 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Standard Oil Gas Station. From the National Parks Services website, this talks about the history of this classic Route 66 service station. Standard Oil sold gasoline there into the 1960s, and by the 1970s it was an auto body shop. The building closed its doors later in the 1970s, leaving it vacant for decades. (Submitted on September 29, 2020, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.) 
 
National Register of Historic Places sign image. Click for full size.
By Jason Voigt, September 29, 2020
3. National Register of Historic Places sign
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 29, 2020, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. This page has been viewed 35 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 29, 2020, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.
Paid Advertisement
Oct. 28, 2020