Fredericksburg in Gillespie County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Johann Jost Klingelhoeffer left Europe in 1846 seeking freedom and economic opportunities. The family sailed to the port of Indianola then traveled to New Braunfels before arriving in Fredericksburg. It is believed that Klingelhoeffer built his home around 1854 in the fachwerk or half-timbered style. The timbers are oak with an infill of handmade bricks and the two rooms at ground level were separated by a durchgang or dogtrot. Just after the Civil War, two rooms were added to the rear which closed off the durchgang. In 1955, two more rooms were added, a bathroom and art studio. The home represents an early Texas German style of building that was unique to the hill country.
Recorded Texas Historical Landmark - 2012
Marker is property of the State of Texas
Erected 2012 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17349.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 30° 16.944′ N, 98° 52.962′ W. Marker is in FredericksburgTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 701 West Main Street, Fredericksburg TX 78624, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Loeffler - Weber House (approx. ¼ mile away); Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); First Methodist Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Old Kammlah House (approx. half a mile away); Meckel - Hanus Building (approx. half a mile away); Gun Cap Factory (approx. half a mile away); St. Mary's Catholic Church (approx. half a mile away); Old St. Mary's Church (Die Alte Kirche) (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fredericksburg.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 2, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 2, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 42 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 2, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.