Fredericksburg in Gillespie County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Meckel - Hanus Building
Saddle and harness merchant Henry Meckel (1855-1909) acquired this property in 1886 and soon made improvements to a one-story, ca. 1860 stone house already on the lot. A second level of concrete blocks and a double gallery of milled wood were added to the central-hall structure. Dr. J. J. Hanus (1898-1966) bought the building for a hospital in 1927 and altered the facade to its present appearance by 1929. The building served as a Catholic convent from 1949 through 1979.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1986
Erected 1986 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 10081.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Science & Medicine. A significant historical year for this entry is 1886.
Location. 30° 16.666′ N, 98° 52.582′ W. Marker is in Fredericksburg, Texas, in Gillespie County. Marker is on West Main Street (U.S. 290) 0.1 miles west of South Orange Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 307 West Main Street, Fredericksburg TX 78624, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within Old Kammlah House (a few steps from this marker); Gun Cap Factory (within shouting distance of this marker); Hoerster Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. Mary's Catholic Church (about 400 feet away); Republic of Texas German Immigrant Trail (about 400 feet away); Old St. Mary's Church (Die Alte Kirche) (about 400 feet away); Albert Lee Patton Building (about 400 feet away); Sunday Houses (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fredericksburg.
Also see . . . Architecture of Fredericksburg. Wikipedia (Submitted on October 3, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 4, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 3, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 153 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 3, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.