Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Independence in Washington County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

The Female Department of Baylor University

 
 
The Female Department of Baylor University Marker image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, September 9, 2018
1. The Female Department of Baylor University Marker
Inscription.  

On this site stood the Female Department of Baylor University Incorporated under the laws of the Republic of Texas February 1, 1845
Henry L. Graves, first president, was elected January 12, 1846

Preparatory Department for boys and girls was opened May 18, 1846 with H. F. Gillett as teacher

Rufus Burleson became president in 1851
In 1886 when Baylor University moved to Waco and consolidated with Waco University The Female Department moved to Belton and now bears the name of Mary Hardin - Baylor College
Marked by the State of Texas 1936
 
Erected 1936 by The State of Texas.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: EducationWomen. A significant historical date for this entry is January 12, 1846.
 
Location. 30° 19.12′ N, 96° 21.263′ W. Marker is in Independence, Texas, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of Old Baylor College Road and McCrocklin Road, on the left when traveling west on Old Baylor College Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Brenham TX 77833, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Columns of a Building of Old Baylor University (here,
The Female Department of Baylor University Marker is on the left of the two markers on the ruins image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, September 9, 2018
2. The Female Department of Baylor University Marker is on the left of the two markers on the ruins
Click or scan to see
this page online
next to this marker); Dr. Horace G. Clark (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Davis Family (about 300 feet away); Old Baylor Park (about 400 feet away); John P. Coles Cabin (about 500 feet away); John Prince Coles (about 600 feet away); Old Baptist Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Houston-Lea Family Cemetery (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Independence.
 
Also see . . .  University of Mary Hardin - Baylor. TSHA Texas State Historical Association (Submitted on October 4, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 
 
Entrance to the ruins of the old Female College of Baylor University image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, September 9, 2018
3. Entrance to the ruins of the old Female College of Baylor University
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 4, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 4, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 39 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 4, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=157227

Paid Advertisement
Apr. 15, 2021