Independence in Washington County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Columns of a Building of Old Baylor University
Outgrowth of efforts of Judge R.E.B. Baylor and others; chartered by Republic of Texas on Feb.1, 1845; opened 1846 - Baylor is the oldest University in Texas operating under original name. Until moving (1886) to Belton and Waco, Baylor was located here for 40 years, under Presidents H.L. Graves, R.C. Burleson, G.W. Baines (whose great grandson, Lyndon Baines Johnson, became 36th U.S. President), and W.C. Crane.
These columns mark site of Baylor Female College; men attended Baylor University, on hill to the south, across the "River Jordan".
Restored 1952 by ex-students and friends under leadership of Baylor Historical Society.
Marker Restored - 1967
Erected 1967 by Baylor Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Education • Women. A significant historical date for this entry is February 1, 1845.
Location. 30° 19.123′ N, 96° 21.264′ W. Marker is in Independence, Texas, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of Old Baylor College Road and McCrocklin Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Brenham TX 77833, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Female Department of Baylor University (here, next to this marker); Dr. Horace G. Clark (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Davis Family (about 300 feet away); Old Baylor Park (about 400 feet away); John P. Coles Cabin (about 500 feet away); John Prince Coles (about 600 feet away); Old Baptist Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Houston-Lea Family Cemetery (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Independence.
Also see . . . Independence Texas. TexasEscapes.com (Submitted on October 4, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 13, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 4, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 80 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 4, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.