Near Williamsburg in James City County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The First General Assembly of Virginia
The First General Assembly
on the thirtieth day of July A.D. 1916.
Summoned by Sir George Yeardley,
Governor General of Virginia,
under authority from the London Company, pursuant to the charter granted by King James I, was convened in the church at Jamestown the First General Assembly of Virginia.
This Assembly, composed of the Governor, the Council of State, and two Burgesses elected by the people from each of the eleven plantations was the beginning of representative government in the colonies of England and laid the foundation of the liberties of America.
Back of Monument:
in honour of
Sir George Yeardley, Governor General,
Sir Edwin Sandys,
Treasurer of the London Company,
Henry, Earl of Southampton, his successor,
for their distinguished services in obtaining for
the Colony of Virginia
the Ordinance and Constitution of Government
dated November 18, 1618,
under authority whereof the First
General Assembly of Virginia
was here held
July 30, 1619.
Dedicated by the
Association for the Preservation of Virginia
July 30, 1907
Left Side of Monument:
The Councell of Estate, Capt. Francis West, Master John Rolfe, Capt. Nathaniel Powell, Revd. William Wickham, Master John Pory, Master Samuel Maddock.
Captain William Powell, Ensigne William Spense.
For Charles City
Samuel Sharpe, Samuel Jordan
For the City of Henricus
Thomas Dowse, John Polentine
Captain William Tucker, William Capp
For Martin Brandon Capt. John Martin’s Plantation
Mr. Thomas Davis, Mr. Robert Stacy
For Smythe’s Hundred
Capt. Thomas Graves, Mr. Walter Shelley
For Martin’s Hundred
Mr. John Boys, John Jackson
For Argall’s Guifte
Mr. Pawlett, Mr. Gourgainy
For Flowerdieu Hundred
Ensigne Rossingham, Mr. Jefferson
For Captaine Lawtie’s Plantation
Captaine Christopher Lawne
”Sir George Yeardley, the Governor, being sett downe in his accustomed place, those of the Counsel of Estate sat next to him on both handes, excepte onely the secretary, then appointed Speaker who sat right before him, and forasmuch as men’s affaires doe little prosper where God’s service is neglected, all the Burgesses tooke their places in the quire till a prayer was said by Mr. Bucke, the minister, that it
Erected 1907 by Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Government & Politics. A significant historical date for this entry is November 18, 1864.
Location. 37° 12.495′ N, 76° 46.7′ W. Marker is near Williamsburg, Virginia, in James City County. Marker can be reached from Colonial Parkway, on the right when traveling west. Marker is in the "Old Towne" section of the Historic Jamestown unit of Colonial National Historic Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Williamsburg VA 23185, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Barracks (here, next to this marker); The Tombs of James and Sarah Blair (a few steps from this marker); The Tombstones (within shouting distance of this marker); Palisades (within shouting distance of this marker); Captain John Smith (within shouting distance of this marker); The Greate Road – An Early Highway pre-1607-1700s (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Captain John Smith (within shouting distance of this marker); Jamestown’s Churches (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Williamsburg.
Also see . . .
1. Historic Jamestowne. Colonial National Historic Park from National Park Service website. (Submitted on January 30, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.)
2. Historic Jamestowne. Historic Jamestowne is the site of the first permanent English settlement in America. The site is jointly administered by APVA Preservation Virginia and the National Park Service. (Submitted on January 30, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 1, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 30, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,449 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on January 30, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.