Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Near Locust Grove in Orange County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

“Stonewall” Jackson’s Arm

The Battle of Chancellorsville

 

— Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania National Military Park —

 
"Stonewall" Jackson’s Arm marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, November 10, 2007
1. "Stonewall" Jackson’s Arm marker
Inscription.  
Here, in the Jones family cemetery, lie the remains of “Stonewall” Jackson’s left arm. The Confederate general lost the limb during the Battle of Chancellorsville, where he was mistakenly shot by his own troops. Surgeons removed the mangled appendage at the Wilderness Tavern field hospital, one-half mile to your left-rear, early May 3, 1863.

Jackson’s chaplain, the Rev. B. Tucker Lacy, visited the hospital later that morning. As he was leaving Jackson’s tent, Lacy saw the general’s amputated arm lying outside the door. He gathered up the bloody limb and carried it across the fields to his brother’s estate, Ellwood, and buried it here in the family cemetery.

In 1903, the Rev. James Power Smith erected the small granite marker that stands over the arm. Smith had been on Jackson’s staff during the Civil War and later married Agnes Lacy, the daughter of Ellwood’s owner.

“He has lost his left arm; but I have lost my right arm.”
—Robert E. Lee on “Stonewall” Jackson

(captions)
Jackson remained at Wilderness Tavern for just
Jackson's Arm marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, November 10, 2007
2. Jackson's Arm marker
The granite block in the background indicates the location of where Gen. Stonewall Jackson's amputated left arm was buried.
one day. On May 4, 1863, he made the 26-mile journey to Guinea Station (right). He died there six days later.

This photograph of Jackson was taken in April 1863, a week before he was shot.
 
Erected by National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial SitesWar, US Civil.
 
Location. This marker has been replaced by another marker nearby. 38° 19.087′ N, 77° 43.939′ W. Marker is near Locust Grove, Virginia, in Orange County. Marker can be reached from Constitution Highway (Virginia Route 20) one mile west of Germanna Highway (Virginia Route 3), on the left when traveling west. Marker is at the cemetery, south of "Ellwood," the Lacy House. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 36380 Constitution Hwy, Locust Grove VA 22508, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. A different marker also named “Stonewall” Jackson’s Arm (here, next to this marker); Arm of Stonewall Jackson (here, next to this marker); Union Headquarters (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); A Military Scene (about 500 feet away); Ellwood (about 500 feet away); Archeology at Ellwood
Marker for Arm image. Click for full size.
By Bryan Olson, 07
3. Marker for Arm
Close up view of the granite marker that stands where Jackson's Arm was buried.
(about 500 feet away); A Busy Place (about 600 feet away); Grant Comes to Virginia (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Locust Grove.
 
More about this marker. This marker replaced an older one at this location also titled “Stonewall” Jackson’s Arm (see nearby markers).
 
"Ellwood" - Lacy House image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, November 10, 2007
4. "Ellwood" - Lacy House
The cemetery where "Stonewall" Jackson's arm is buried is located on the grounds of the Ellwood estate.
Guinea Station image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, November 9, 2007
5. Guinea Station
Gen. "Stonewall" Jackson died on May 10, 1863 in the farm office of Fairfield Plantation, located at Guinea Station.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 6, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 6, 2020, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 48 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 30, 2007, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.   3. submitted on March 12, 2008, by Bryan Olson of Syracuse, New York.   4, 5. submitted on November 30, 2007, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 8, 2021