Building of the Lititz Freight Station in 1921
In 1884, the Lititz Moravian Congregation, who owned Lititz Springs Park, entered into a ninety-nine year lease with the Philadelphia & Reading Railroad Company for the location of a new Passenger Depot & Express Station to be built on Park grounds. The understanding was that no more grounds would be needed. However, in June 1920, the P. & R. started proceedings for the condemnation of additional Park grounds in order to build a freight warehouse.
On Thursday, July 29, 1920 the Lititz Record reported that "The Philadelphia and Reading Railroad Company announced its abandonment of the condemnation proceedings started against the Lititz Springs." Also, "the railroad company closed a deal for the purchase of a tract of land from Hershey-Leaman Company on the south side of the railroad along Water Street." In July of 1921 the Hershey-Leaman Company of Lititz received the contract to build a new one-story brick freight station with a 202-foot platform. The freight station did not open for business until May 24, 1922. The interior was divided into a large storage room, a freight office and a general office.
The Freight Station was operated
Erected by Lititz Springs Park Historical and Archives Committee.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Railroads & Streetcars. A significant historical date for this entry is May 24, 1922.
Location. 40° 9.493′ N, 76° 18.483′ W. Marker is in Lititz, Pennsylvania, in Lancaster County. Marker is on the Lititz Springs Park Entrance Road west of Broad Street (Pennsylvania Route 501), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 18 North Broad Street, Lititz PA 17543, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Importance of Conversation (here, next to this marker); Dedicated to Our Employees Who Devotedly Served Their Country in World War II (a few steps from this marker); Veterans Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Honor Roll (a few steps from this Lititz Caboose Museum (a few steps from this marker); 1895 Drinking Fountain (within shouting distance of this marker); Lititz Springs Park Entrance Gates (within shouting distance of this marker); Lititz Springs Park Historical Markers (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lititz.
Also see . . . Lititz railroad depot coming down (LNP - Lancaster Online, 2013). (Submitted on November 12, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 9, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 12, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 261 times since then and 80 times this year. Last updated on October 7, 2020, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 12, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. 4. submitted on October 7, 2020, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.