Bellville in Austin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Bellville General Hospital
Bellville was founded as County Seat of Austin County in January 1848, on land provided by Thomas Bell, for whom the town was named. The railroad reached Bellville in 1879-80, and the population increased substantially in the ensuing years.
In 1915, Dr. Jubal Allen Neely, graduate of the Galveston Medical School, moved to Bellville and opened a privateMedical practice. He served in the U.S. Army Medical Corp during World War I and returned to Bellville with an injury. When the injury required bed rest in 1926, Dr. Herbert Edward Roensch, a Bellville practicing medicine in nearby Kenney, moved to Bellville to help tend to Neely's patients. They formed a partnership, and in 1928, the two doctors opened Bellville's first hospital with four beds. That same year, the discovery of an oil field in the area led to an increase in population, and soon plans were underway for a larger hospital.
In 1930, the hospital moved to the Neely Building, still on the town square. Serving an ever-growing population, the hospital again expanded in 1938, and plans for an even larger facility began in 1949. The once private hospital became a
Operating under a voter-approved hospital district, Bellville General Hospital continues to serve the community more than 75 years after it opened with the leadership and support of its professional medical and administrative staff as well as from the board of directors, auxiliary, foundation and friends.
Erected 2003 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12964.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Science & Medicine • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 29° 57.219′ N, 96° 15.622′ W. Marker is in Bellville, Texas, in Austin County. Marker is at the intersection of North Cummings Street and West Palm Street, on the left when traveling north on North Cummings Street. The marker is located at the hospital by the Emergency Room entrance. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 44 North Cummings Street, Bellville TX 77418, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Original Site of St. Mary's Episcopal Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of First Bellville Masonic Lodge Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bellville (approx. 0.3 miles away); First National Bank of Bellville (approx. 0.3 miles away); Austin County Jail (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Harigel House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Early History of Bellville Methodist Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); E.O. Finn Building (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bellville.
Also see . . . Austin County. TSHA Texas State Historical Association (Submitted on October 8, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 9, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 8, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 42 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 8, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.