Harwich in Barnstable County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
— “The Man With the Branded Hand” —
Born in Harwich, 1799, Captain Walker attempted to help seven slaves in Pensacola, Florida escape in 1844. Arrested as a “Slave Stealer” He was branded on orders of a United States Court on the right hand “SS” and jailed there for nearly a year. With the support of his wife, Jane Gage Walker, also of Harwich, and their nine children. Captain Walker was an active anti-slavery lecturer and writer until 1852.
The family moved to the new state of Wisconsin, where Jonathan and Jane carried on their efforts to free the slaves in the Underground Railroad.
Jonathan and Jane relocated to Michigan in 1864, after his death in 1878. A ten foot memorial was dedicated at his grave there before six thousand friends and admirers.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Abolition & Underground RR • African Americans.
Location. 41° 41.15′ N, 70° 4.603′ W. Marker is in Harwich, Massachusetts, in Barnstable County. Marker is at the intersection of Sisson Road (Massachusetts Route 39) and Parallel Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 80 Parallel Street, Harwich MA 02645, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Harwich Men (here, next to this marker); Brooks Grinding Stone (a few steps from this marker); British 6 Pounder (a few steps from this marker); Harwich Historical Society (within shouting distance of this marker); Albro House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Battle of the Bulge (approx. ¼ mile away); Harwich War Memorial (approx. 1.3 miles away); Harwich Supreme Sacrifice Memorial (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Harwich.
Also see . . . The Harwich Historical Society and Brooks Academy Museum. (Submitted on October 13, 2020, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 13, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 9, 2020, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. This page has been viewed 27 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 9, 2020, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. • Michael Herrick was the editor who published this page.