Near Anderson in Grimes County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of a Munition Factory
Of the Southern Confederacy established in 1861 · In operation until 1865 · Cannon, cannon balls, guns, pistols, swords, sabers, bayonets and gun powder were manufactured
Erected by the State of Texas 1936
Erected 1936 by The State of Texas. (Marker Number 8603.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments series list.
Location. 30° 30.912′ N, 96° 0.22′ W. Marker is near Anderson, Texas, in Grimes County. Marker is on County Highway 244 one mile west of State Highway 90, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Anderson TX 77830, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Grimes County, C.S.A. (approx. 2.1 miles away); a different marker also named Grimes County (approx. 2.1 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 2.1 miles away); Grimes County Courthouse (approx. 2.1 miles away); In Memory of Jesse Grimes and Mathew CaldwellSteinhagen Log Cabin (approx. 2.2 miles away); Rocky Creek Bridge (approx. 2.2 miles away); La Bahia Road (approx. 2.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Anderson.
Also see . . . Gun Manufacturing During the Civil War. TSHA Texas State Historical Association (Submitted on October 14, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 14, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 14, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 36 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 14, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.