Scotland in Archer County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
J. H. Meurer Home
German native John H. Meurer (b. 1850) settled his family in this area about 1900 when he became a land agent for H. J. Scott of the Clark and Plumb Company. In selling over 60,000 acres of land, Meurer helped to establish the towns of Windthorst (6 mi. S) and Scotland (named for H. J. Scott), both primarily German Catholic settlements. Meurer had this one-and-a-half story home built in 1911. The 11-room house with wraparound porch remained in the Meurer family until 1941 when Saint Boniface Catholic Church purchased it to serve as a residence for parish priests.
Erected 1982 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 2677.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 33° 39.399′ N, 98° 28.261′ W. Marker is in Scotland, Texas, in Archer County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 281 and 2nd Street, on the right when traveling south on U.S. 281. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Scotland TX 76379, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Also see . . . Scotland Texas. TSHA Texas State Historical Association (Submitted on October 14, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 14, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 14, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 39 times since then. Photo 1. submitted on October 14, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area together in context. • Can you help?