Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Staten Island in Richmond County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Barracks

National Lighthouse Museum

 

— Library, Archives and Workshops —

 
The Barracks wayside image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Larry Gertner, July 24, 2008
1. The Barracks wayside
Inscription.  
Constructed as a warehouse, this building is not only the oldest on the site, it may predate the Lighthouse Depot. It has a gable roof with simple cornice, a symmetrical and unadorned façade punctuated by plain six over six double-hung windows. The building is Greek Revival, a style popular on the East Coast in the 1840s and 50s. Some sources believe the building dates from that period, which style and structure would make it the lone Staten Island remnant of the U.S. Revenue Service. One researcher found documentation the building was used to temporarily overflow patients from the Quarantine Hospital. Some sources believe the building dates from 1864, but has both the style and structure of an earlier era. Further research may solve the mystery. In the early 1940s, the building became a barracks for personnel from distant Coast Guard operations.

A Timeline for This Site
Before 1670: Lenape Indian lands
1670 - c.1701: Duxbury Glebe (farm)
1756 – 1763: French & Indian War campground
1775 – 1786: Revolutionary War campground
1799 – 1863: Quarantine Station (25A.) & U.S. Revenue Cutter Service
The Barracks image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Larry Gertner, July 24, 2008
2. The Barracks
Click or scan to see
this page online
(5A.)
1858: Destruction of the Quarantine Station by the residents of Staten Island
1863-1867: U.S. Light-House Board & U.S. Revenue Service
1867-1939: U.S. Lighthouse-Board
1939-1966: U.S. Coast Guard Base
1982: Purchased by the City of New York
1987-1992: Ferry Maintenance Facility Built
1996: 1996: Plaza and Armajani Sculpture Built
1998: Selected for Lighthouse Museum Site
 
Erected by National Lighthouse Museum.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1864.
 
Location. 40° 38.501′ N, 74° 4.448′ W. Marker is in Staten Island, New York, in Richmond County. Marker is on The Prominade south of Ferry Terminal Viaduct when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 200 The Prominade at Lighthouse Point, Staten Island NY 10301, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. National Lighthouse Museum (within shouting distance of this marker); The Administration Building (within shouting distance of this marker); The 1907 Lamp Shop (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Maritime New York (about 400 feet away); United States Merchant Memorial (about 500 feet away); Memorial to Clarence T. Barrett
The National Lighthouse Museum site (right) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Larry Gertner, January 1, 2004
3. The National Lighthouse Museum site (right)
(about 500 feet away); Giovanni Verrazzano (about 600 feet away); Commodore John Barry (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Staten Island.
 
Regarding The Barracks. At the time of the photos, the grounds were just beginning to be renovated after years of neglect.
 
Also see . . .  National Lighthouse Museum. Organization website. (Submitted on October 15, 2020, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 15, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 15, 2020, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. This page has been viewed 73 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 15, 2020, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=157937

Paid Advertisements
 
 

May. 24, 2022