Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Franconia in Fairfax County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Franconia

 
 
Franconia Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, March 11, 2006
1. Franconia Marker
Inscription.  “Frankhonia Farm” was situated on 191 acres purchased in 1859 by Alexandria merchant and businessman William Fowle from Joseph Broders of Oak Grove Farm. His son, Robert Rollins Fowle, sold 18 acres to the Alexandria & Fredericksburg Railway Company in 1871 for a station, which was named after the farm. The station served as the Garfield Post Office from 1881 to 1890 and again from 1898 to 1907. Initially situated south of Franconia Road near the present day Fleet Drive, the station was relocated after a fire in 1903 to the north side of Franconia Road. Regular service at Franconia Station was discontinued c. 1953.
 
Erected 2000 by Fairfax County History Commission.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Political SubdivisionsRailroads & Streetcars. In addition, it is included in the Virginia, Fairfax County History Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1859.
 
Location. 38° 46.882′ N, 77° 8.879′ W. Marker is in Franconia, Virginia, in Fairfax County. Marker is on Franconia Road
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(County Route 644) west of Beulah Road (County Route 613), on the right when traveling east. It is in the Lee District Government Center parking lot, and is difficult to see from the road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6121 Franconia Road, Alexandria VA 22310, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Laurel Grove Colored School and Church (approx. one mile away); Carrolltown (approx. 1½ miles away); The Rose Hill Raid (approx. 1.6 miles away); Rose Hill (approx. 1.6 miles away); a different marker also named Rose Hill (approx. 1.6 miles away).
 
View from the Franconia Road Sidewalk image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, March 11, 2006
2. View from the Franconia Road Sidewalk
Les Dorson Memorial at the Base of the Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, March 11, 2006
3. Les Dorson Memorial at the Base of the Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 27, 2022. It was originally submitted on March 12, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 3,156 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on March 12, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=158

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 25, 2024