Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lingleville in Erath County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Lingleville

 
 
Lingleville Marker image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, September 4, 2020
1. Lingleville Marker
Inscription.  

Founded in 1884 by Jacob C. Lingle, the town of Lingleville originally covered a ten-block area. A Post Office was established in 1885, and by 1892 the community boasted stores, blacksmith shops, a mill gin, and three churches. Although bypassed by the railroad, the town thrived and soon included educational facilities and more businesses. Almost completely devastated by a downtown robbery and fire in 1901, the town rallied and rebuilt. The 1919 oil boom at the nearby Desdemona oil field brought increased settlement and business to Lingleville.
 
Erected 1990 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 3090.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceLaw EnforcementSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1884.
 
Location. 32° 14.666′ N, 98° 22.387′ W. Marker is in Lingleville, Texas, in Erath County. Marker is at the intersection of West Lingleville Road (Farm to Market Road 8) and County Highway 408, on the right when traveling east on West Lingleville Road
Lingleville Marker image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, September 4, 2020
2. Lingleville Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Stephenville TX 76401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lingleville Tabernacle (approx. 0.3 miles away); Corinth Cemetery (approx. 4.1 miles away); Oak Dale Cemetery (approx. 7.9 miles away); Daniel Roberts Thornton and Mary Anna (Garland) Thornton (approx. 8.7 miles away); John Tarleton (approx. 9.4 miles away); In Memory of George Bernhard Erath (approx. 9.9 miles away); Erath Arches (approx. 9.9 miles away); Desdemona First Baptist Church (approx. 10.4 miles away).
 
Regarding Lingleville. According "The Fort Worth Register" newspaper, on the night of March 12th, 1901, burglars burned and destroyed most of downtown Lingleville. Once the fire was out, a large safe was found with its heavy door blasted off about 20 feet away. Several stores and businesses sustained major damage to their businesses. Officials believe the burglars set one of the buildings on fire to cover their robbery.
 
Also see . . .  Lingleville Texas. TexasEscapes.com (Submitted on October 16, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 8, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 16, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 67 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 16, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=158012

Paid Advertisement
Oct. 25, 2021