Comanche in Comanche County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Reconfiguration of Comanche County by the State in 1858 led to a relocation of its county seat. In 1859 local land developer Captain John Duncan donated 200 acres here for a townsite to serve as Comanche County seat. Duncan's deed specified that sufficient portions of the donated acreage be set aside for a graveyard, churches, and schools. A cemetery consisting of about 5.5 acres was established and named Oakwood for the impressive oak trees which graced the site.
The earliest marked grave is that of one-year-old John Neely, who died in January 1861. Since its establishment the cemetery has been the property of the City of Comanche and has served as a community graveyard. Parcels of land orginally owned by John Duncan and conveyed to William and Sue (Shortridge) Martin in 1895 were added to the cemetery over the years and represent a majority of its acreage.
The cemetery contains the interments of numerous veterans of conflicts ranging from the Republic of Texas era to the present, including both Union and Confederate soldiers from the Civil War. Also buried here are pioneers of this area and their descendants, state and
Erected 1994 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 3660.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1861.
Location. 31° 54.444′ N, 98° 36.048′ W. Marker is in Comanche, Texas, in Comanche County. Marker is on Bryan Street near East Cedar Avenue, on the right when traveling north. The marker is in front of the Cemetery Directory on Bryan Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Comanche TX 76442, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. M.R. (Boss) Greene (within shouting distance of this marker); George Washington Gentry (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. Matthews Episcopal Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Central Christian Church of Comanche (approx. half a mile away); Site of John Wesley Hardin's Murder of Deputy Sheriff Charles Webb (approx. 0.6 miles away); Jo G. Hardin and Cousins (approx. 0.7 miles away); Texas Longhorn (approx. 0.7 miles away); John Wesley Hardin (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Comanche.
Also see . . . Comanche Texas History. TexasEscapes.com (Submitted on October 16, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 17, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 16, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 53 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 16, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.