Eudora in Chicot County, Arkansas — The American South (West South Central)
Eudora Under The Hill
Site of the Eudora settlement's first business district. After a ferry across Bayou Macon was established in 1846, Cariola Landing was accessible to Arkansas Communities to the west and Louisiana towns to the south. Merchants built stores along the road to the ferry, about a half a mile from Mount Carmel community, under the hill. By 1890s a number of stores were in operation including a black merchant, a doctor's office and the post office which had been moved from Carmel. The community thrived until the early 1900s when businesses began moving to Eudora Township on the hill.
Erected by Chicot County Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels.
Location. 33° 6.309′ N, 91° 15.649′ W. Marker is in Eudora, Arkansas, in Chicot County. Marker is on East Lee Street half a mile south of South Main Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Eudora AR 71640, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 13 miles of Site of Mount Carmel (approx. half a mile away); Cotton Storage House (approx. 9.4 miles away in Mississippi); Old Highway 1 (approx. 10.7 miles away in Mississippi); The Battle at Ditch Bayou (approx. 11.6 miles away); Saunders-Pettit-Chapman-Cook Plantation Home (approx. 11.8 miles away); Lakeport in the Civil War (approx. 12.1 miles away); Lakeport Plantation House (approx. 12.2 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on October 17, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 17, 2020, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 40 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 17, 2020, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana.