Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Washington Court House in Fayette County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Soldiers’ Row

 
 
Soldiers' Row Marker image. Click for full size.
By John Rappold, August 25, 2007
1. Soldiers' Row Marker
Inscription.  In 1884 the Ohio General Assembly authorized “the burial of the body of any honorably discharged ex-union soldier, sailor or marine of this state who shall hereafter die without leaving means sufficient to defray funeral expenses.” Permanent government-issued headstones have been provided to veterans since the late 19th century. Between 1884 and the 1930s, Washington Cemetery buried 47 white soldiers (including 15 unknown) and 35 African-American soldiers. These veterans served in the Civil War, the Spanish-American War, and WWI. They are remembered for the sacrifices they made. In the fall of 2001, the cemetery underwent significant renovations, in which students of the Washington Senior High School Research History program aided in identifying the buried soldiers and restoring and replacing the gravestones. Here in Soldiers’ Row, the words of local United States Colored Troops veteran, Albert Bird, echo centuries later: “We have suffered to save the country; we ought to be remembered.”
 
Erected 2004 by Fayette County Travel and Tourism Bureau and The Ohio Historical Society
Soldiers' Row image. Click for full size.
By John Rappold, August 25, 2007
2. Soldiers' Row
. (Marker Number 4-24.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansWar, Spanish-AmericanWar, US CivilWar, World I. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list.
 
Location. 39° 32.3′ N, 83° 24.917′ W. Marker is in Washington Court House, Ohio, in Fayette County. Marker can be reached from Washington Avenue (U.S. 22) west of Old Chillicothe Road SE (Ohio Route 140). Near the rear of the Washington Cemetery, central section. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Washington Court House OH 43160, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Harry M . Daugherty (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Judy Memorial Chapel (about 400 feet away); Fayette County Civil War Memorial (about 700 feet away); St. Colman Church and Cemetery (approx. half a mile away); Washington Court House (approx. one mile away); Morris Sharp House (approx. 1.1 miles away); Veterans Bicentennial Memorial (approx. 1.1 miles away); 104mm German Cannon (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Washington Court House.
 
Additional keywords. USCT
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 19, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 4, 2007, by John Rappold of Huntington, West Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,164 times since then and 91 times this year. Last updated on October 17, 2020, by Robert Baughman of Bellefontaine, Ohio. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 4, 2007, by John Rappold of Huntington, West Virginia. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker in context. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 3, 2021