Greensboro in Greene County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Old Greene County "Gaol"
This prison was built about 1807, after the General Presentments of the Greene County Superior Court recommended that a substantial jail be built.
The cells are veritable dungeons without light or ventilation, except for the grated door downstairs and the small, grated windows above. The dungeons in Fort Marion are no more horrible. It was used as a jail until about 1895.
Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 066-5.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Law Enforcement. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1807.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Greensboro GA 30642, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sheriff L. L. Wyatt (within shouting distance of this marker); William C. Dawson (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Commissioner of Agriculture (about 300 feet away); Greene County (about 300 feet away); The Burning of Greensborough (about 700 feet away); Bishop George Foster Pierce (approx. 0.2 miles away); Unknown Confederate Dead (approx. 0.3 miles away); Historic Springfield Baptist Church (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Greensboro.
Additional keywords. Jails, Prisons
Credits. This page was last revised on January 30, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 2, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,111 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 2, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.