San Saba in San Saba County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Texas Rangers and the San Saba Mob
Removed from major roads and railways, early San Saba County residents had limited access to law enforcement and government. Beginning in the mid-1850s, citizens in and around the county formed vigilante mobs to dispatch justice. Although initially formed to protect residents, these mobs often evolved into organized gangs, terrorizing the residents they had initially formed to protect.
By the 1880s, a group unofficially called the San Saba Mob, or the Assembly, had killed numerous area settlers. Believed to have included religious leaders and elected officials, the Mob operated under strict ritual and secrecy, meeting clandestinely at places like Buzzards' Water Hole and Cottonwood Pond. Organized similarly to a fraternal lodge, the group used secret signs and gestures to identify membership. After meeting and deciding who to eliminate, the Regulators would ride wearing black masks or hoods, and ambush their victims with a telling nine bullet holes.
In 1896, in order to stop the violence, the State sent Texas Rangers led by Sgt. W. John L. Sullivan to investigate, and San Saba County news editor Uluth M. Sanderson began
Erected 2005 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 14756.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Law Enforcement • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1896.
Location. 31° 11.725′ N, 98° 43.034′ W. Marker is in San Saba, Texas, in San Saba County. Marker is at the intersection of South Cherokee Street and West Wallace Road (U.S. 190), on the left when traveling south on South Cherokee Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: San Saba TX 76877, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. United Confederate Veterans William P. Rogers Camp No. 322 (here, next to this marker); San Saba County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Estep-Burleson Building (within shouting distance of this marker); San Saba County Jail (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mill Pond House (approx. Ό mile away); Alma Ward Hamrick (approx. Ό mile away); San Saba Church of Christ (approx. 0.3 miles away); Galloway (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Saba.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 18, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 17, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 306 times since then and 92 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on October 17, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. 2. submitted on October 18, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.