Dwight in Livingston County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The first Keeley Laboratory constructed on this site burned and was replaced in 1903 by this building. In 1924 the company moved to new offices at 310 South Prairie Avenue, and the Keeley Lab became the Administration Building for the Veteran's Administration Hospital. In 1965 the State of Illinois Department of Mental Health purchased the entire complex which today houses the William W. Fox Development Center.
During the 1890's as many as 1,000 Keeley patients would reside in Dwight at a time receiving the 4 week treatment, many large and beautiful homes were built to accommodate them. Over 100 houses were built in 1891 alone. The 'Keeley boom' enabled Dwight to build
This plaque is to commemorate both the 100th anniversary of the founding of Leslie E. Keeley Company and Dwight's 125th anniversary.
Erected 1979 by Dwight Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Science & Medicine. A significant historical year for this entry is 1879.
Location. 41° 5.597′ N, 88° 25.662′ W. Marker is in Dwight, Illinois, in Livingston County. Marker is on West Main Street north of South Prairie Avenue, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 134 W Main St, Dwight IL 60420, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); A Well Connected Village (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Pioneer Gothic Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Windmill (approx. Ό mile away); Welcome to Dwight (approx. 0.6 miles away); Full Service on Rte 66 (approx. 0.6 miles away); Dwight, Illinois (approx. 0.6 miles away); Mom and Pop Motels (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dwight.
Also see . . . Keeley Institute on Wikipedia. (Submitted on October 20, 2020, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 20, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 20, 2020, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. This page has been viewed 87 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 20, 2020, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.