Seguin in Guadalupe County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
This cemetery traces its origin to the Smith family graveyard established by early settlers to this area. Ezekiel (1781-1854) and Susanna (1774-1848) Smith and their four sons migrated to Texas from Virginia. In 1837 Ezekiel was granted land in present day Guadalupe County. Their son, French Smith (1809-1880) was one of the first shareholders of the City of Seguin. He donated land for a city park, high school, and Methodist Church. In 1880, French Smith deeded the family cemetery to the City of Seguin.
A public cemetery north of the Smith Cemetery was founded, and later called Riverside. George B. Hollamon deeded additional land to the city for the cemetery in 1888, and in 1896 a third parcel was deeded by W. E, Goodrich. These cemeteries were combined for a total of 15 acres. Among the more than 2000 burials are those of pioneer settlers, veterans, elected officialis, business leaders, clergy, and former slaves.
Although well maintained at times, over the years the cemetery fell into disrepair. In 1994 friends of Riverside Cemetery undertook a complete restoration of the site through volunteer efforts of concerned citizens
Erected 1996 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4279.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites.
Location. 29° 33.682′ N, 97° 57.754′ W. Marker is in Seguin, Texas, in Guadalupe County. Marker is on East Klein Street 0.1 miles east of South River Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Seguin TX 78155, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Jonathan Douglass (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ezekiel Smith (about 600 feet away); Timothy Pickering Jones (about 600 feet away); Calaboose (approx. 0.3 miles away); Campbell Cabin (approx. 0.3 miles away); Los Nogales (approx. 0.3 miles away); Historic Dietz Doll House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Colonel John Ireland (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Seguin.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 21, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 20, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 29 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 20, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.