Dwight in Livingston County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Full Service on Rte 66
A Friendly Refuge in Dwight
The Ambler-Becker Texaco Station operated longer than any service station on Route 66. It was run by local families for 66 years, from 1933-1999. Flats were fixed, breakdowns towed, and at times, the spirits of weary travelers restored.
Basil "Tubby" Ambler owned the business from 1954-1966 when it was known as Ambler's Texaco Station. He kept a couch in his station to invite folks to feel at home.
Fourteen-year-old Phil Becker was hired by Tubby Ambler to do odd jobs at the station in 1964. He bought his old friend's business in 1970 and operated it for over 26 years as Phil Becker's Texaco and, later, Marathon Gas Station.
· This quaint "house and canopy" cottage style building blended with neighborhoods where filling stations were just becoming common. It evoked a sense of comfort and home for travelers.
· Phil and Deb Becker donated the station to the citizens of Dwight in 2004. It is on the National Register of Historic Places and in the Route 66 Association of Illinois Hall of Fame. Today,
Erected by Illinois Route 66 Scenic Byway.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce • Roads & Vehicles. In addition, it is included in the U.S. Route 66 series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1933.
Location. 41° 5.66′ N, 88° 26.374′ W. Marker is in Dwight, Illinois, in Livingston County. Marker is on West Waupansie Street north of West Mazon Avenue (Illinois Route 17), on the right when traveling north. Marker is outside the restored Ambler's Texaco Gas Station. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 417 W Waupansie St, Dwight IL 60420, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Dwight, Illinois (here, next to this marker); Welcome to Dwight (a few steps from this marker); Mom and Pop Motels (approx. ¼ mile away); A Well Connected Village (approx. 0.6 miles away); 1879-1979 (approx. 0.6 miles away); War Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Windmill (approx. 0.7 miles away); Pioneer Gothic Church (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dwight.
More about this marker. This is one of four "Wayside Exhibits" erected by the Illinois Route 66 Scenic Byway group in Dwight, Illinois.
Also see . . . Ambler's Texaco Gas Station. Wikipedia entry (Submitted on October 21, 2020, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 1, 2023. It was originally submitted on October 21, 2020, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. This page has been viewed 217 times since then and 64 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 21, 2020, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.