Cheviot in Hamilton County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Origins of Harvest Home
In 1804, Enoch (1764-1817) and Achsah (c.1767-1839) Carson and their seven children journeyed from New Jersey to Cincinnati. In 1805, they settled in the western hills in a large grove near Beech Flats, in what would become Green Township in 1809 and Cheviot in 1818. Game was plentiful and fertile soil yielded abundant crops. By 1806, Carson had cleared and cultivated nearly 20 acres of his land. That fall, he began a tradition that has continued into the 21st century. Echoing the ancient custom of harvest home, Carson brought together a fledgling community to celebrate its good fortune and abundant harvests. Each passing year the community gathered in Carson's grove to give thanks, rejoice, and uphold the tradition of harvest home.
In the spirit of Enoch Carson's celebration, farmers in 1851 organized the Green Township Agricultural Society. In 1853, they staged a large exhibition of local agriculture and domestic handiwork to educate and inspire area youth. On September 20-21, 1855, the Society held its exhibition at Carson's grove. In July 1860, the Green Township Harvest Home Association formed to institute an annual event.
Erected 2019 by Cheviot-Westwood Kiwanis Club, City of Cheviot, Bicentennial Committee, and The Ohio History Connection. (Marker Number OHS 92- 31.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Charity & Public Work • Parks & Recreational Areas • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 39° 9.637′ N, 84° 36.363′ W. Marker is in Cheviot, Ohio, in Hamilton County. Marker is at the intersection of North Bend Road and Frolicher Drive, on the left when traveling north on North Bend Road. marker is in Cheviot Harvest Home Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3950 N Bend Rd, Cincinnati OH 45211, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Enoch Terry Carson (here, next to this marker); The Village of Westwood (approx. 0.9 miles away); James Norris GambleHistoric Westwood Town Hall (approx. 0.9 miles away); Westwood Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.9 miles away); Mt. Airy Forest (approx. 2½ miles away); Powhatan Beaty / Union Baptist Cemetery (approx. 3 miles away); Maj. Gen. Arthur St. Clair (approx. 3.8 miles away).
Additional keywords. Kiwanis Club
Credits. This page was last revised on October 25, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 22, 2020, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 88 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 22, 2020, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.