Richmond in Fort Bend County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of Thompson's Ferry
Where a part of the Mexican Army under command of General Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna crossed the Brazos on April 14, 1836 en route to an engagement with the Texans • This occurred one week later at San Jacinto
Erected by the State of Texas
Erected 1936 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 9074.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: War, Texas Independence • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments series list. A significant historical date for this entry is April 14, 1836.
Location. 29° 36.013′ N, 95° 47.116′ W. Marker is in Richmond, Texas, in Fort Bend County. Marker is at the intersection of Riverview Drive and Yandell Drive, on the left when traveling north on Riverview Drive. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Richmond TX 77469, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. John McNabb (approx. 1.6 miles away); Thomas Jefferson Smith (approx. 1.6 miles away); Walter Moses Burton (approx. 1.6 miles H. Schumacher Oil Works (approx. 1.7 miles away); Morton Cemetery Veterans Flag Pole (approx. 1.7 miles away); Morton Cemetery (approx. 1.7 miles away); William Morton (approx. 1.7 miles away); Morton Cemetery 1822 (approx. 1.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richmond.
Regarding Site of Thompson's Ferry. Thompson's Ferry, on the Brazos River between San Felipe and Fort Bend, was operated from 1828 to 1834 by Jesse Thompson. It was important during the Texas Revolution. As Sam Houston's Texan army retreated toward Jared E. Groce's plantation, rear-guard contingents under Moseley Baker at San Felipe and Wyly Martin at Fort Bend sought to prevent the Mexicans from crossing the Brazos River. On April 9, 1836, Gen. Antonio López de Santa Anna, not wishing to be delayed by Baker's men at San Felipe, led a column downriver toward Thompson's Ferry. The Mexicans arrived at the crossing on the morning of April 12 and spied a black ferryman on the east bank of the Brazos. Col. Juan N. Almonte, who spoke English well, hailed the ferryman. Probably thinking that this was a countryman who had been left
Source: "Thompson's Ferry" TSHA Texas State Historical Association - Handbook of Texas
Also see . . .
1. Texas Revolution. TSHA Texas State Historical Association (Submitted on October 24, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
2. Battle of San Jacinto(Submitted on October 24, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 24, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 24, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 928 times since then and 427 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 24, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.