Rosenberg in Fort Bend County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Rosenberg Cemetery, formerly the Woodmen of the World (W.O.W.) Cemetery, had its beginnings in three separate but adjacent cemeteries - the W.O.W. Cemetery, and Moers and Klauke additions. Although it includes burials dating to the 1890s, the W.O.W. Cemetery was established by Rosenberg Camp No. 535 in 1905, when the group bought eight acres from R.T. Mulcahy. The cemetery was originally to be used only by W.O.W. members and their families.
Soon after establishing the burial ground, the W.O.W. Camp bought a strip of land connecting the cemetery to a city street. This strip became Magnola Street, and the land to the west and east of it became the Moers and Klauke cemeteries respectively. W.C. Moers established his graveyard in 1935 and in 1940 sold his remaining lots to Fred E. Klauke, who had started his cemetery the previous year.
The City of Rosenberg, which bought the W.O.W. Cemetery in 1957, purchased the Moers and Klauke sites in 1973, and today the three graveyards are known together as Rosenberg Cemetery. The names of the city's early settlers and leaders can be found among the grave markers.
Erected 2002 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13127.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites.
Location. 29° 33.785′ N, 95° 48.821′ W. Marker is in Rosenberg, Texas, in Fort Bend County. Marker is at the intersection of Avenue D and Brazos Street, on the right when traveling west on Avenue D. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1401 Avenue D, Rosenberg TX 77471, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Vogelsang Building (approx. half a mile away); Robinowitz Brothers (approx. half a mile away); Julius Edward Junker (approx. half a mile away); Charles Harvey Waddell (approx. half a mile away); First Baptist Church of Rosenberg (approx. half a mile away); Fort Bend Telephone Company (approx. half a mile away); Rosenberg Post Office (approx. 0.6 miles away); Rosenberg (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rosenberg.
Also see . . . Rosenberg Texas. TSHA Texas State Historical Association (Submitted on October 24, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 24, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 24, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 34 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 24, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.