Wadsworth in Matagorda County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
St. Francis Catholic Church
1895. First Euro-American Roman Catholic Church in county. Land a gift of Mrs. Frank Seerden and Mr. and Mrs. Lawrence Butter. In Polish village. Rebuilt following 1896 hurricane destruction.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1965
Later research showed original land donors were Mrs. Frank Seerden and her nephew Zeflick "Z" Butter.
Erected 1965 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 5031.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion.
Location. 28° 48.427′ N, 95° 57.251′ W. Marker is in Wadsworth, Texas, in Matagorda County. Marker is on St. Francis Cemetery Road (County Highway 233) 0.1 miles north of Farm to Market Road 521, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Wadsworth TX 77483, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Sacred Heart Catholic Church (approx. 2.1 miles away); Battle Island (approx. 7.1 miles away); Hannah CarrGraves of Unknown Matagorda Settlers (approx. 7.3 miles away); The Matagorda Incident (approx. 7.3 miles away); First Burials in Matagorda Cemetery (approx. 7.3 miles away); The Yellow Fever Epidemic of 1862 (approx. 7.3 miles away); Matagorda Cemetery (approx. 7.3 miles away).
Also see . . . Wadsworth, Texas. TSHA Texas State Historical Association (Submitted on October 24, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 25, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 24, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 36 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 24, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.