Downtown in Baton Rouge in East Baton Rouge Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
Named for company member, John O. Bradford, Old Brad, the first service horse in the Baton Rouge Fire Department, is buried in front of his beloved Washington No. 1 Firehouse. He served 28 years, actively for 15. After retiring, he was allowed to graze freely in the city and continued responding to alarms on his own until his death in 1908. Loved by his company and the community, he was given a hero's burial.
Erected by Clary, Suba & Neale, Robert A. Bogan Fire Museum.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Animals • Cemeteries & Burial Sites.
Location. 30° 27.043′ N, 91° 11.222′ W. Marker is in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, in East Baton Rouge Parish. It is in Downtown. Marker is on North Fourth Street north of Laurel Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Baton Rouge LA 70802, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Original Site of the First Methodist Church of Baton Rouge (a few steps from this marker); Morgan House Site (within shouting distance of this marker); Gras-Devall Plaza St. Joseph Cathedral (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Congregation B'Nai Israel (about 400 feet away); The Former Baptismal Fount (about 400 feet away); Fort Sumter Saloon (about 400 feet away); Baton Rouge Sit-Ins (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Baton Rouge.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 12, 2023. It was originally submitted on October 25, 2020, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 227 times since then and 56 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 25, 2020, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana.